Wednesday, April 10, 2013

QUICKIE #3 - Exceptions

Online players like to state that there are certain concepts they don't want to interact with. Here's an example I ran across in Champions Online.

PLEASE NOTE: I will not play with you or acknowledge you if you are playing a demon, werewolf, elf or vampire. Play a different game more to your liking.

Okay, never mind that CO lore actually has canon instances of demons, werewolves and vampires; the Red Banner Gang has a quest where you're stopping them from summoning a demon, and the Vibora Bay zone is teeming with vamps and weres. Elves can be questionable, however it's not difficult to find a decent reason for them to appear in the CO world. But, in listing concepts you're going to outright ignore, without gauging the caliber of roleplay, you're doing yourself a disservice.

There are plenty of decent players who have concepts within those four. Yes, I'll be the first to admit that people can play them wretchedly, and they should be ignored if they can't be helped, but -- what the fuck, mate.

It's a super hero game, I'm sure you'll say. Those concepts don't belong in a comic book, super hero world!

I beg to differ. And here are canonical examples of comic book characters of those particular concepts! (It took me less than five minutes to find all of these. Pfft.)

Wolfsbane!

Malekith the Accursed!

Etrigan the Demon!

Vampirella!

So. Um. Yeah. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, just like I (sure as fuck) am, but you could at least have a cognizant and feasible reason for not bestowing your majestic attention to certain people. End of day, though? You're screwing yourself out of roleplay.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reposted to fix a bad spelling error...you'd think they'd have an editing tool or something after you post.

      Delete
  2. Actually, I think I ran into that person who you've posted about. I even talked to her and managed to get a reason out of her. Not a very GOOD reason, mind you. But a reason.

    After going back and forth debating with this person, this is what she said to me:


    [[NAME WITHHELD]]: "Have you ever heard of Joe Orlando? Comics legend. Joe did Tales from the Crypt, but he had a bad career when he started doing DC/Marvel.As editor, he used to write notes to superhero scripts like "Why does the Thing have to smash through a wall to enter the room?" "Can't he use the door?" To which the exasperated writers said, "Look, Joe...you either get this stuff or you don't." Same thing. You either get this stuff or you don't. Obviously you don't get it - judging by your earlier "what's with the spandex?" comment so any further conversation is pointless. Goodbye."

    After discussing with my friends, we believe that this person is likely just a giant snob. The new comics aren't the GOOD comics. Very much like having a huge fan of Picasso and a guy off the street looking at the same picture. The fan sees perfection while the average guy asks, "Why is it drawn all weird like that?"

    Doesn't make this person's opinions any less poor, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabby, if you wish, I'd be happy to give you the text log of the entire conversation. Just send me an email.

      Delete
    2. By all means. If nothing else, I'd love to see what drivel she spouted to back up her ridiculousness.

      Delete
    3. Just as soon as I know exactly where I'm sending it. Your profile doesn't have contact information. If you don't mind me knowing your email, you can look at my google+ profile (by clicking on the Ryan Hughes-Fenchel thing) and look at the "about" tab. My contact email is public there. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I'll send it to you.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete